Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

#DiceGames: Day Two

My second DiceGames prompt is: “Write a love story. Blood and gore is mandatory.” I first started writing a Mr. & Mrs. Smith type of story, in which lovers try to kill each other. But then I came up with an idea that was more along the lines of what I write.

Unfortunately I can't complete the challenge because I'm going to Menorca for a week's holiday, and I didn't have time to write the third story. I'll post the story and visit the other participating blogs once I get back.


They had followed the trail of blood and prints through the woods, and found the deer in a clearing, an arrow jutting from its haunch. He watched her as she stepped lightly ahead of him, leaving shallow prints in the snow. As always, she wore a coat of grey fur with darker shades running along her sides.
A drizzle of frost fell onto her back, revealing yet another carrion bird had arrived. The crows clutched spindly branches with crooked claws. Their thick beaks opened and closed as they squawked, awaiting a true predator to open the carcass.
He snorted in contempt at the presence of the foul birds. Should any of them dare attempt to steal, he would run them off.
A ripping sound caught his attention. Skin and fur came loose as she revealed their prize. Her long face disappeared amidst the carcass of the stag. She gorged on the dark red flesh, reveling in its taste and texture. He padded over to her side and joined the feast. Once they had their fill they would call to the others; there would be enough food for the whole pack.
He watched her with pride: her belly was round with their unborn pups. They would enter the world in the den their ancestors had found decades ago. They would be greeted and raised by the ruling pack of the Weeping Woods.
Gently he nudged his mate. She looked at him, yellow eyes glinting with joy. They lifted their snouts to the sky and howled in calling to the other wolves.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriptions in this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely and evocative. I'm so glad you stayed true to your own voice :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years of watching nature programs every Saturday didn't go to waste :)

      Delete
  3. Yay! I also had the blood-and-gore-love-story prompt, and I strongly approve of making it a real--actually sentimental-- love story instead of defying it with the gore part.

    Love, new life, and the gore is just food. I love it. Great job getting into the narrator's head too, every emotion you mentioned from "contempt" to "pride" to "joy" rung true and caused me to feel them on cue--all tied together nicely by the context.

    Be sure to swing by my site and drop a comment when your third entry is up. I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I will, unfortunately while I was away my muse was abducted and brainwashed by plot bunnies. It's taking a tad longer writing the third with other stories calling.

      Delete