Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

#DiceGames: Day One

Timony Souler's DiceGames challenge: three days, three dice rolls, three prompts. My first prompt is: “A red-haired vixen is trying to kill you. Deal with it.”

Auburn slammed the young woman against the wall. She lifted a hand to her victim’s throat, resisting the urge to finish her writer. Maybe she had a good reason for torturing her and the other characters.
“I’m sorry about what happens to you. I’m sorry about what happens to your… uh, family and friends.” Emilia peered over crooked glasses. She lifted a hand to push them back, but the though died under Auburn’s glare. “But you’re in a story and a story needs conflict or it suc—”
“Shut up!” Auburn’s fingers twitched. Her nails grew longer, sharpened into claws. “I don’t care what the parrots of writing blogs are repeating.” The shapeshifter lifted a hand from Emilia’s throat and set it on her shoulder. After a moment’s pause she continued through gritted teeth, “First you sent me to anger management and now you’re doing horrible things to me and the other characters.”
“I’m a writer! That’s more or less what we do.” She tried to shrug.
Auburn rolled her eyes. That was her writer’s excuse for everything. Why couldn’t she write something nice like children’s books? Then again that would mean no profanities, bashing heads or seducing people.
“Then stop writing.” She arched an eyebrow. “Or I will stop you.”
Emilia’s jaw dropped and her eyes widened. “I can’t…”
Auburn lifted a finger and drew it slowly across Emilia’s throat, leaving behind a white line. “Then I’ll have to kill you.”
“I know you, I created you. You don’t kill unless it’s necessary.” She pressed against the wall, trying to disappear between the stone’s seams.
“Try me.” The shapeshifter grabbed her hand and lifted it before her face. “And I can always cut off your fingers. We’ll see how you write then.”
“If you stop me from writing you’ll kill yourself. You only live on the pages and in the readers’ imagination.”
Auburn’s finger went lax, allowing Emilia to wrench her hand free. She stared at her writer, or tried; the smudges on her glasses almost hid her eyes. On impulse Auburn wiped her glasses with the sleeve of her dress. There, now she could see her writer’s fear better.
“You have a point.” She stepped back. “And the thought of hurting someone nice, it just doesn’t feel good.”
Emilia sighed and pushed her glasses up again.
Auburn crossed her arms. “You’re going to make this up to us. I want a happy ending for everyone.”
“Even the villains?”
“What? No, of course not.” She leaned against the wall. Anger tightened her features as she spoke, “The villains deserve my fist in their face and a life in a dragon’s gut.”
“If a happy ending makes sense, then I’ll write one, but I can’t annoy the readers.” She lifted her hands as Auburn opened her mouth to object. “You want your part of the story to be read? If I had you ride off into the sunset on a white fool’s dragon, with a strapping young lad, while chomping down a chocolate pastry…”
“All right! But if you kill me off, make it a big scene.” Auburn spoke the words slowly, “No off-the-page death.”
“I don’t think I’ve created anything capable of killing you, but all right.” She lifted her glasses off her nose and stared at them in disbelief. “Did you just spit on my glasses?”
The shapeshifter gave her a flat stare.
“Never mind, just go back to Verannia.” She waved her hand in dismissal. Auburn turned to leave. “Wait, how do you know about blogs?”
The shapeshifter shrugged as she opened the door. She looked over her shoulder and grinned. “I go through your mind when I’m bored.”
Emilia’s jaw dropped. “Just go. I need to plan a scene where you knock the marrow out of a skeletal demon.” She buried her face in her hands and muttered, “Pihkura*, what did I get myself into.”

*Emilia likes to use obsolete finnish swear words, such as “pihkura”, “pahkura”, “kehveli”, “himskatti” and “himputti”.

5 comments:

  1. Oh boy, characters coming to life is both my worst fear and my sometimes-dream (I will take a day or two with my hero, Pierce, come to life quite gladly). Love Auburn's very scary threats (finger-cutting? Eeks!), and the eventual turn-around.

    This part cracked me up: “But you’re in a story and a story needs conflict or it suc—”. I have used that excuse to wreak havoc in my characters' lives WAY too often. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily Auburn likes making threats more than executing them :)

      Thank you, hard for a character to argue against that. I've had the opposite problem with the protagonist. I finally figured it out that I'm robbing her the chance of being a hero by being too nice.

      Delete
  2. This seems like a very fun meme - great job! BTW - If I knew any obsolete Finnish swear words, I'd use them all the time too, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =)

      Timony's prompts are great, I started this blog because I wanted to join the 7 virtues challenge, though I would began blogging sooner or later.

      Well now you know a few obsolete Finnish swear words XD

      Delete
  3. Ah! Spoilers! Actually fun to see more of Auburn--I really want to see her in Verannia the more I get to know her outside of Verannia (also although I think we've both been busy I'm still interested in the Cluedo cross-over if you are).

    "I don't think I've created anything capable of killing you" was going to be my favorite line because Auburn is so awesome.

    But it got topped by "I go through your mind when I'm bored." for the same reason.

    I have conversations like these with my characters sometimes to get to know them better, though I have to admit I've never had one make physical contact with me. I think I might conduct the interviews from the other side of a bullet-proof glass wall or something.

    ReplyDelete